Super stress-busting, hormone-balancing, mood-boosting AND wrinkle-CRUSHING smoothie.
Yep, it's that good!
Ladies, this one's for you - and not just because it's pink (though it is quite pretty, too)!
I've been a big smoothie fan for donkey's years because it's one of the best ways to get a good dose of food-based nutrients, easily and quickly into your system. And this smoothie certainly packs a big nutritional punch!
I've created it with healthy hormones and happy moods in mind - perfect for the stressed out, hormonal, cranky pants.
The Key vitamins and minerals I've focused on here are: vitamin B6, magnesium and zinc. These 3 nutrients are crucial for supporting neurotransmitter production, the stress response, and healthy hormone production/balance. I've also included strawberries for the added antioxidants, and vitamin C which is important for our adrenal glands (the site of cortisol and adrenalin production).
Organic Maca powder: I like to think of this Peruvian super food (sometimes called Peruvian Ginseng) as a nervous system re-boot. It's rich in phytonutrients and has adaptogenic properties (helps the body to adapt to the stress response). Maca supports hormone signalling and helps to buffer the effects of cortisol. It's a fabulous food for healthy hormones and fertility.
Macro Nutrients Balanced.
Proteins, fats, carbohydrates - we need them all in healthy ratios.
Proteins: (which are broken down into amino acids) are the building blocks to our neurotransmitters such serotonin, dopamine, GABA and adrenaline. Without adequate protein, your mood will start to suffer as your body literally doesn't have the essential building blocks to produce those happy/relaxing/energising neurotransmitters.
Fats: are vital for proper brain function and hormone production. They are also involved in prostaglandin production. Prostaglandins are chemical messengers that actually play an integral role in your menstrual cycle and fertility.
Carbohydrates: are the fuel for our body, and whilst I recommend low carb diets in certain circumstances, on the whole, I've noticed throughout the years that women do better with some carbs! I certainly know that I function better, my energy levels are more stable, and I feel stronger when I work out, if I'd had a source of high quality, complex carbohydrates.
- Banana: vitamin B6 and carbohydrates.
- Strawberries: vitamin c and antioxidants - great for your skin, too!
- Pepitas: one of the best food sources of both magnesium and zinc; monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats; mixed tocopherol vitamin E. Another fabulous skin food helping to maintain moisture and elasticity of the skin, whilst helping the healing process due to the zinc.
- Sunflower seeds: vitamin B6; polyunsaturated fats and vitamin E.
- Flaxseeds: plant-based omega-3's and dietary lignans. Phyto-oestrogens from flaxseeds, along with the anti-inflammatory omega-3, make then a fantastic food for hormonal health, and cancer protection of breast, uterine and ovarian tissues.
- 1 frozen banana
- 5 strawberries
- 3/4 scoop Prana Power Plant Protein powder
- 1 Tbs Organic Maca powder
- 1 Tbs flaxseeds
- 1 Tbs pepitas
- 1 Tbs sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 cup water
Simply put everything into a blender and blend well. You may want to crush the flaxseeds first unless you're using a 'bullet' style blender that can crush seeds properly. This is honestly substantial enough as a meal, or you could just have it as a snack. It's especially good in the afternoon when you're prone to that 3pm energy slump and vending machine mission!