Gosh, if I had a dollar for every time I heard this ..... Fatigue, lethargy, brain fog; generally feeling tired or exhausted all the time; dragging yourself out of bed every morning; needing a coffee drip to get you going, is NOT normal, and nor is it a 'condition' in and of itself. Feeling tired all the time is usually a SYMPTOM of something else, and as a Naturopath, it's my job to figure out what that is!
To figure this out, your Naturopathic consultation involves taking an extensive mental and physical health history, as well as recommending the appropriate pathology testing, depending on your other presenting symptoms and history, to identify the root cause of your fatigue.
Some of the FACTORS that could be making you feel tired.
- Your diet: not eating enough and not having a balanced diet; eating too many or too little carbohydrates; skipping meals; blood sugar imbalances; having a diet high in refined sugars;
- Thyroid dysfunction (particularly, hypothyroidism and/or hashimotos disease but fatigue can also occur in hyperthyroidism): this is all too common, especially in women. To adequately test your thyroid function we need to look at all the relevant markers, including: TSH, T4, T3, rT3 and antibodies;
- Sleep disturbances: seems obvious but this is also oh, so common! If we have issues with getting good quality and quantity of sleep, then we're definitely going to be tired;
- Nutrient deficiencies: the first thing we think of is iron, but we definitely don't want to be supplementing with iron unless we have blood tests showing we are deficient, however, I also find that deficiencies in B vitamins and magnesium can also contribute to fatigue;
- Hormonal imbalances;
- Chronic viral infections, allergies and lowered immunity;
- Long term stress and adrenal fatigue;
- Over consumption of stimulants such as coffee and sugar;
- Depression and anxiety;
- Being burnt out, run down and generally burning the candle at both ends;
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
As you can see, there are number of different reason why you could be feeling tired so it's important to listen to your body when you are feeling this way, and seek some support to figure what the underlying cause/s might be. Too often I see people just push on through, self medicating with things like iron supplements or poor quality multivitamins, or living on coffee to get through the day, but unfortunately, this only leads to the problems inevitably becoming worse!
So if you're feeling tired all the time and you'd like to get to the bottom of it, why not get in touch. I'd love to work with you to provide individualised solutions to help you feel well again.
Zsuzsanna is a passionate naturopath with over 15 years' industry experience.
Having come from a corporate background herself, Zsuzsanna understands the demands of the busy, modern world we live in, and is particularly passionate about helping busy people prevent burn out, and achieve their best health possible.
Zsuzsanna also has a special interest in mental health and uses functional pathology testing, together with nutritional and herbal therapies, to provide holistic, mental health solutions.