I purposely didn't add any extra sugar into these muffins as I figured the ripe bananas would be sweet enough - and most of us do not need the extra sugar! Plus, I see plenty of recipes claiming "refined sugar free", but to me, sugar is sugar so I thought I'd try this recipe without it. So they're not overly sweet, and they're not completely savoury either, but rather, somewhere in between.
If you prefer them a little sweeter, you could add about 1/4 cup of honey or some other sweetener of your choice. You could also add some berries or nuts into the mix, too!
These would be great for kids' lunch boxes, or as a snack for people on the go.
I ate mine with lashings of butter and it was delicious :)
2 mashed, medium-large bananas
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup spelt flour, sifted
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 tpn baking powder
Desiccated coconut for sprinkling
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C;
- Combine all the wet ingredients (first 4 ingredients) in a bowl; mix with a wooden spoon;
- In another bowl, sift the spelt flour and baking powder together; add the oats and chia seeds;
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, one half at a time, and fold gently; ***the trick to lighter, fluffier muffins is to mix less and mix gently***
- Distribute the batter evenly into 10 patty pans;
- Sprinkle coconut on top of each muffin;
- Pop in the oven and bake for 25 mins.