This is one of my all-time favourite, meat-free dishes! It's quick and easy to prepare, and so filling and flavoursome, you really don't miss the meat!
A quick note about using canned beans....
Naturally, if you have the time to soak and prepare your own beans, that's awesome! But I am never prepared that far in advance, I'm usually all about doing things as quickly as possible, so canned beans work for me. You can buy organic beans that come in BPA-free cans from organic / whole food grocers. They're only marginally more expensive than the cheaper supermarket ones, but worth it!
BEANS are full of fibre, contain a good amount of protein, keep you full for ages, and also feed the good bugs in your gut! When they're combined with herbs, spices and vegies, they're an amazingly, healthy food (and well worth the 'wind' factor).
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 onion - finely diced
- 4 large cloves of garlic - chopped
- 2 cans beans (I used 1 can kidney beans and 1 can of 5-bean mix) - rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (omit if you don't like it spicy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Guacamole (1 fresh avocado + juice of 1/2 a lemon)
- Lettuce cups to serve
- OPTIONAL - chopped cherry tomatoes, sour cream and grated cheese for serving.
- Put the olive oil in a deep fry pan (one that is big enough to fit all of the above ingredients);
- Saute the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes until softened;
- Sprinkle on the cumin, chilli and oregano; stir until the aromas are released;
- Add the beans and tomato;
- Stir everything until well combined;
- You may need to add a dash of water if it's too thick at this point;
- Turn down the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes; stirring occasionally;
- Meanwhile, make your guacamole: using a fork mash up 1 avo with the juice of 1/2 lemon; add salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Prepare the lettuce cups by rinsing under water, drying with a paper towel and chopping off the hard end/stalk;
- Once the beans are cooked, taste and add salt and pepper to your liking;
- Serve in lettuce cups with a dollop of guacamole on top;
- Add the sourcream and cheese if you're having these.